Saturday, February 28, 2009

midnight feedings

Three reasons why I really don't mind waking up in the middle of the night to feed Caleb:

1. He's such a great kid, and he's always been a really good sleeper. We can put him down at 8pm and I won't have to wake up until 2am, when the monitor picks up a few grunts and whines from him. He's still asleep when I go into his room, just stirring. So I unwrap him from his swaddle, he wiggles out any gas or stiff muscles, and then he's awake and ready to eat. It sure beats that first week or two when we were both getting used to each other and trying to figure out the feeding process, before I realized that when he's hungry but won't eat, it means he's gassy, or if he starts to doze off I should change his diaper to wake him up enough to stay interested... and so on. I used to wait for him, then I'd fight with him, and after all that, I'd make sure he was asleep before I went back to bed. This usually meant walking the livingroom and humming in his ear, or laying on the couch with him on my chest until I thought it was safe to move him to his crib. So it was a two hour ordeal just to get him fed and changed, but luckily for me it's dropped down to 45 minutes to an hour. I'll just leave him in his room with the soother on and after a bit of whining, he falls right back into dream world, and I'm off the hook for another 3-4 hours.

2. This is what I find under his quilt when I come into his room: a little baby borrito.



3. Then, he squirms, and no matter how tired I am, I can't help but smile. He's usually more active than this, and a lot noisier.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

You sure are one blessed Mama!