Tuesday, September 29, 2009

while packing

I'm really starting to feel like a military wife with all this packing and moving and settling in, just to have to start over again because plans changed. Doing all this with a baby boy running around unchecked is even more of an experience, but it had it's entertaining moments...

I put out this empty diaper box with the idea that Caleb might want to play inside it (you know how kids are with boxes), but instead, our little explorer saw that it had potential for climbing. I snapped this picture right before the cardboard gave way and he went sliding down to the floor.



There was only so much room in the car for all the items that were going into storage, so I had to make several trips over the span of four days to get everything packed up to drive out there. Every time I went outside I closed the front door so Caleb wouldn't get out. He'd get mad that I left, come crawling to the door, then kneel beside it and try to open it (sometimes successfully if it was still open a crack), so I couldn't get back in the house without knocking him over. I decided it was best then to just leave the door open so he could keep an eye on me, and he loves being out where there's sunshine and birds and trees and so many unfamiliar things to look at.

At first he just sat there, looking around and taking in the scenery, being a good boy... Then he saw the grass and the mud, and like any other little boy, he wanted to get dirty. I could've said "yuck!" and made him stay inside and out of the mess, but I decided as long as he kept the filth out of his mouth, I didn't mind him having a little fun.





I'm glad he can keep himself entertained and stay out of trouble for the most part while I get us all packed up. Now I can only hope he can do the same on the car ride back to the homeland this weekend. We're leaving on the 2nd, hoping to be there by the 5th, so we'll be seeing some of you soon!

No comments: