Tuesday, March 24, 2009

show some emotion

This is going to be difficult, but I at least have to try to describe the feeling I got from something that kind of caught me off guard today. When Caleb was spending time with his cousin Kayleigh, he actually showed a little personality. I brought him over to Jessica's house to visit, and after both babies were fed and several stories were swapped, we decided to get the kids together for a picture (they've photographed so well together in the past) but the result wasn't quite what we were looking for.

What happened was that Kayleigh got a little fussy and was crying her strong yet quiet, very lady-like cry. We plugged her up with a pacifier so we could get a decent shot, and she calmed down a bit, but all the while that she'd been letting loose beside him, Caleb was growing more and more restless. You can see the concern and unease building up on his face in the second picture (of course, it was better if you were there), then once Kayleigh's binky fell out and she started wailing again, Caleb up and joined right in. I didn't think to capture that exact moment because we moms promptly pulled the little ones apart and proceeded to comfort them.


I mean, it has to be confusing for someone who's totally oblivious of the existence of other infants, to hear one crying. I couldn't stop laughing at the predicament that it caused, and surely it's safe to assume that crying is simply contageous among babies. 'There must be some kind of disturbence; It's upsetting; I'd better cry.' Still, I was fascinated to see this child of mine that I've been staring at and talking to nonstop for seven weeks show me something completely new. Finally he's expressed some emotion while interacting with another person - I witnessed the spark of compassion in my son. *Sniff.*


Like I said, "Daddy's Little Dude" (as his shirt says) is seven weeks old tomorrow. No duckie in this picture, I just caught him posing on his changing table. I love how he looks in just a onesie.

No comments: