Thursday, January 8, 2009

"Head, DOWN!"

That line, of course, is quoted from Mike Myers on So I Married an Axe Murderer. My cousin Summer and I have been joking about it, because that is just what our little Caleb has been needing to do. People have been poking my belly here and there, trying to help me determine which end is what, spurring some pretty silly questions such as "Is he kicking... or punching?" "Is that a butt, or a head?" and my favorite, "What the heck is that?" Even though it was unclear exactly how he was laying, it seemed apparent that it wasn't head down. I don't think I would've even realized that his position should be cause for any concern until my mother pointed out that he should've had his head down some time ago. He's running out of wiggle room in there, and the longer he stays in an oblique or breach position, the less likely he is to turn before the delivery. Of course, I'm afraid of any potential complications in the birth, so I brainstormed with several people and cracked a book or two, looking for ways to help encourage him to flip over, and settled on a few positions that were most likely to help, even if it would take a week or more.

I got back to NC on Monday and had an OB appointment today to look forward to. I hoped that if he hadn't turned by now, my midwife would've been able to tell me how I might flip hime, or refer me to someone that could. Luckily though, she did a bit of poking around my lower abdomen, found a heartbeat one the right side of my stomach, and declared that he did have his head down afterall, so there is nothing to worry about. Phew!

The only thing that concerns me now is that since he's right-side-up, he really could come any day. He still has to engage, but after that happens, it's only a matter of time... then i have to do the deed, and that's slightly nerve-wrecking. I'm not gonna lie, I wouldn't mind too much if he decided to come a little early. Not because I'm fed up with being pregnant just yet (though it can be irritating and uncomfortable at times), but because I can't wait to meet the little fella! I'm trying to imagine what he'll look like, and how tiny he's going to be, what his cry is going to sound like, his sneezes, and eventually, his giggles. I really want to know if he'll have blue eyes or brown, but I guess I'll have to wait.

No comments: