Tuesday, January 6, 2009

turbulence

Good news!! I didn't go into labor on the plane flying home from Washington, or in any of the airports along the way. The first flight I was on did have to make an emergency landing in Spokane, however, due to one man losng consciousness because he didn't take his blood pressure medication that morning... at least that's the story I got. I wonder if events like that ever make the news. To be honest, I was just really relieved I wasn't the reason we had to touch down. Although the delay turned my would-have-been 7-hour travel day into a 12-hour one (not including driving time to and from the airports), it opened up a few seats in the back so this prego could take a nap during the change-over, and spread out a bit for the rest of a very long flight to Chicago. Also, it made it so I didn't have to wait 3+ hours for Michael to come pick me up in Raleigh, though it made for a pretty late night for us both, and my poor hunny had to work in the morning.

After three weeks at home visiting my family and friends - and Michael's - it's so good to be back in my own house and to not have anything pressing to do. As much as I enjoyed catching up with everyone and spending quality time with those I love and miss terribly, it did get a little stressful moving from house to house, making sure everyone got as much time with us as they wanted, and driving about as often as we slept. I definitely got what I needed out of that vacation: a lot of good conversation, some laughter thrown in there, a few people to rub my belly and tell me I still look great (that's something I think every pregnant lady wants to hear!), a little advice, a LOT of snow, along with Christmas cheer and some holiday traditions I've grown up with, a taste of Washington, and also, a chance to miss my humble little duplex in good ol' Jacksonville, North Carolina. I had been spending way too much time cooped up in this house, but now that I've been away, I love it all over again. That is, afterall, part of what trips like this one are all about.

No comments: